Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sorbello Knots


I have been learning Sorbello knots over the past 3-4 weeks.  It is an old stitch  that originated in Sorbello,  a village in Italy.  My teacher mentioned that, Sorbello knot stitch is a common stitch used on linen in cross stitch, needlepoint and embroidery.  An important tip that I have picked up is that it needs to be worked reasonably loosely. The looser tension makes for a knot that seems to pop out of the work.

I have worked my first Sorbello knots on 28 count silk/linen, using DMC No 712 stranded cotton - 2 threads. I am new to working with linen and counted work. It is a lot more structured which I like, but I’m finding I need to focus more, because of the counting of threads.



 
 
 
This sampler in the photo's below  shows how i have worked the Sorbello knot in a free form on my Gingham Sampler. The legs of the knot are not the same length and they I have placed them randomly in the Gingham square
 



Sorbello knot is totally new to me, and once you get going with it you tend to develop a rhythm.
I have found it to be an enjoyable stitch.






2 comments:

  1. Is this related to the Sorbello lace making school of the last century? I will be using this stitch,thank you--Valeria Sorbello

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this related to the Sorbello lace making school of the last century? I will be using this stitch,thank you--Valeria Sorbello

    ReplyDelete